Hasawi Lamb Kabsah
3 cup Al-kabsah rice
700 gm lamb chunks
5 ½ cup boiled water
4 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Large onion, chopped
2 Large tomato, pureed
2 Tbsp tomato paste
½ medium green bell pepper, cut into small cubes
2 tsp crushed garlic
4 pieces of each (cardamom, cloves)
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp of each (mixed spices – ground cumin)
½ tsp ground dry lemon
1 cube chicken bouillon
1 tsp salt (to taste)
For the filling:
2 medium onion, chopped
½ tsp crushed garlic
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
¼ tsp of each (ground cardamom – ground dry lemon – salt)
1. Wash the rice very well and soak it in salted warm water for 30 minutes.
2. Heat the oil in a medium sauce pan, then sauté onion and garlic for 3 – 4 minutes then add meat chunks and sauté until light golden.
3. Add the boiling water tomato and leave to cook for 10-12 minutes.
4. Add boiling water, spices, chicken bouillon and salt, leave to cook for 25-30 minutes or until the meat is cooked through.
5. Drain the rice thoroughly and add to the pan with the chopped green pepper (you can add more water if needed, water level should be 1 inch higher than rice level), bring to boil and cook uncovered for 5 minutes. Cover the pan tightly and cook on low heat until done for 15 – 20 minutes.
6. To make the filling: in a small pan sauté the onion until lightly golden then add a little water and cook until the water evaporates repeat until the onion is golden brown, then add the garlic and spices .
7. Put the rice on a serving dish and top it with the meat chunks then the sautéed filling.